This year, the holiday season will, as always, see the arrival of several Pixar films on home video. Of course, we have Brave coming to Blu-ray on November 13, but that's not all. The Pixar Short Films Collection - Volume 2 will arrive on the same day.
The list of bonus features that will be included on the Brave Blu-ray has been released, and it sure is a pleasing sight - if you're a Pixar fan, that is.
I am a big fan of the bonus material on Pixar home video releases, and Brave sure seems like it is overflowing with special features, which will no doubt keep me and many other fans occupied for ours.
Also, it appears the studio is returning to its old tradition of including an all-new short in every home video release, featuring characters from that year's feature film.
Here is the list:
Here is the list:
BLU-RAY – DISC 1 INCLUDES:
BLU-RAY DISC 2 INCLUDES:
BLU-RAY 3D DISC INCLUDES:
- La Luna Theatrical Short — Fans will love this charming short that accompanied the film in theatres. It follows a young boy on his first night working the family business alongside his father and grandfather.
- The Legend of Mor’du Short — This rousing new bonus short film will give fans the chance to delve deeper into the legend behind Mor'du, as told by the eccentric witch who transformed him.
- Brave Old World — Fans will watch as members of the “Brave” production team investigate Scotland, exploring its land, culture, people and dialects. The research they gathered was brought thrillingly to life in the film. Also, fans will hear what actress Emma Thompson (voice of Queen Elinor) thinks of Pixar’s take on her homeland.
- Merida & Elinor — With the creation of Merida and Elinor, the Pixar filmmakers delved deep into the relationship between mother and daughter. Highlighting contrasts in character design, clothing, animation, voicing, even hairstyle, watch how the filmmakers explored this most important of relationships.
- Bears — Take a look inside the art and design behind the bears in Brave. Each of the bears, gentle Mum-Bear and terrifying Mor’du, demanded a different approach to creating their physical appearance and personality.
- Brawl in the Hall — A fascinating and hilarious inside look at the process of creating Brave’s fighting Scots, through animation, crowd simulation and fight choreography — not to mention a room full of grunting men whose vocal chortles added authenticity to the raucous scene.
- Wonder Moss – Fans will explore how Brave’s technical artists examined the real Scottish countryside and studied the laws of nature, then turned these findings into computer codes that would blanket Merida’s Scotland in lush moss, lichen and bracken.
- Magic — The magic and mystery of Scotland is revealed to fans in this charming feature about the legends — from mystical potions to the will-o’-the-wisps – seen in Brave.
- Clan Pixar — At Pixar, getting into character is a team effort. From making Haggis to Kilt Fridays to celebrating the Scottish poet Robert Burns, fans will see how the Brave production crew truly embraced Scottish themes and customs fueled the Pixar crew throughout the creation of Brave.
- Once Upon A Scene — A closer look at the evolution of the storylines throughout the production of the film, including alternative openings to the film and many deleted scenes.
- Extended Scenes — Three separate scenes are highlighted in their extended form. Director Mark Andrews discusses the decision making process that led to the shortened versions of these scenes.
- Director Commentary
BLU-RAY DISC 2 INCLUDES:
- ‘Fergus & Mor’du’ An Alternate Opening — Once upon a time, “Brave” had a different opening scene. Eventually cut from the film, fans can see it in its entirety in this bonus feature narrated by the film’s director Mark Andrews.
- Fallen Warriors Montage — A selection of deleted shots that were cut from the film late in production are presented to fans in various stages of completion through a video montage narrated by director Mark Andrews.
- Dirty Hairy People — Fans will enjoy this uproarious bonus feature discussing the development of Brave’s Scots – including the design of their hair, attire, and dirt-crusted physiques.
- It is English…Sort Of — This bonus feature helps fans interpret some of the more Scottish lines in the film, thanks to the real Scottish actors who play the key characters and contributed their own dialects and sayings.
- Angus — A look at Merida’s most trusted companion, Angus, a mighty Clydesdale.
- The Tapestry — Fans will learn the story behind this embroidered emblem of family unity, which was lovingly crafted by Brave’s team of artists.
- Promotional Pieces — This bonus includes promotional clips for Brave, including: ‘Feast Yer Eyes,’ ‘Relics,’ ‘Clan DunBroch,’ ‘Launch,’ and more.
- Art Gallery — A selection of breathtaking art from the creation of the film, showcasing characters, sets, scenes and stunning landscapes.
- Wee Gaffes – A video montage of simulation, animation and shot bloopers.
- Renaissance Animation Man – Get a look at Director Mark Andrews’ love of Scotland, sword-fighting, music and more!
- Teasers and Sneak Peeks
- La Luna Theatrical Short
Callum O'Neil, the voice of Wee Dingwall in Brave, recently talked to Female First about the short that will accompany the film's home video release:
"There is a short film in the Brave DVD, that is being put in there as an extra, it is about two minutes long and is a scene between my character and Julie Walters' character the witch.
Now Julie Walters and I have never met even though we are in the same scene together - she was in the studio between the 5pm and 7pm and I was in the studio from 7pm until 8pm."
I can hardly wait. Not only will we learn more of the demon bear Mor'du, but expect the new short to be jam-packed with humor and fun.
The Pixar Short Films Collection - Volume 2 is also now available for pre-order on Amazon and will include every Pixar short from Your Friend the Rat up until La Luna, as well as the first two Toy Story Toons. It remains unknown if Partysaurus Rex will join the collection. Stitch Kingdom also tells us that the collection will include student short films made by Pixarians before joining the company. Such shorts include John Lasseter's Nitemare and The Lady and the Lamp. This Blu-ray/DVD is a must-buy for any Pixar fanatic.
Be sure to set some money aside for November 13, when Brave and the Pixar Short Films Collection - Volume 2 hit store shelves.